Sunday, September 28, 2008

Tattoo!

So 4 years ago, I decided I wanted a tattoo. I made the decision on a Friday, dragged a friend along, found the first tattoo parlor i could, and got myself one. It was a little moon and star about the size of a quarter. The place, while it looked like a hovel, did things by the book and everything they needed for the actual tattoo seemed clean. I sat down and about 10 minutes and 30 dollars later I had my very own tattoo. At the time, I was so proud that I had anything that I didn't really notice that my particular ink wasn't very good. The edges were fuzzy and the color was not done well. It basically looked like someone had smeared it, like ballpoint pen ink that hasn't dried.


Well, I lived with my lame little tattoo for 4 years. Hiding it (it's on my lower back, so this wasn't hard) and not admitting to actually having a tattoo if the subject ever came up. However, after Friday, my shame is no longer. I now have a legit and awesome tattoo! My artist managed to take the one I had and enhance it and add to it. See for yourself the finished project:

I have a picture of the previous one and will try to post that so everyone can see how remarkable improvement it really is.

I went with one of my best friends to get the tattoo. We have been planning this for about a month together and I have been planning to get mine fixed for about 2 years. She got an awesome blue puzzle piece on the inside of her wrist.




I have read various pieces of literature recently on how tattoos have become "untaboo" and almost mainstream in our society. It's an interesting idea. I also find it interesting to get certain people's view point on them. I love mine and would consider getting more in a heartbeat if I could afford them. My boyfriend doesn't care if I have them, but doesn't want one himself. He says it's because there is nothing he would want permanently on his skin. I suppose I can understand that, but I don't agree. I think life is way too short to not have a little fun along the way. I am also all for self expression and I think this is one of the best ways to do it.

Wonder what I should get next.......

No comments: